[lbo-talk] March 20, 2004, Columbus, OH

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Mar 21 08:51:45 PST 2004

On Sunday, March 21, 2004, at 10:50 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> This is certainly my experience locally. Members of BNCPJ are (a)
> overwhelmingly ABB and (b) extremely friendly to me and the local Green
> organizer, despite our quite vocal anti-Kerry positions! No danger
> whatever of being isolated. In fact we've gotten fairly enthusiastic
> response to the position that the tasks of anti-war groups will
> increase
> in 2005 regardless of who wins the election.

Well, I hope the Left split I see coming (perhaps as deep as the Communist/anti-Communist split) will not happen -- I would like to see the Left as united as possible in a (hypothetical) Bush second term. However, the potential for acrimony is rather frightening.

> I hope the kind of bitter and irresponsible sectarianism Jon exhibits
> above is as rare elsewhere as it is in Bloomington/Normal.

Where's the "bitter and irresponsible sectarianism"? I agree that Nader has a perfect right to run for president, as does anyone who fits the constitutional requirements for the office. (By the way, I would be in favor of dropping the "native-born" requirement, despite the opening that it would give to Schwartzie, because it is obviously stupid, and I would also definitely support eliminating the electoral college.) I just don't think it was a good idea, tactically, considering the interests of the Left in general at this point, and I would advise anyone planning to vote in November not to vote for him, because a large Nader vote represents too much of a risk of a Bush victory. If Kerry pulls ahead decisively near November, I would be more tolerant of Nader votes, if that's what folks feel would comfort their souls.

If anything I have written sounds bitter, I apologize; I do sometimes get a bit jittery about the idea of 4 more Bush years. "Sectarianism" I don't understand -- I don't belong to any sect that I know of, but if I do I would appreciate someone telling me what it is. As for "irresponsible" -- well, I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. I hope my beauty is, as well.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax