[lbo-talk] christer propaganda (was: really bad political music)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 21 10:36:25 PST 2004

>kelley at pulpculture.org wrote:
>
>>I'm not exactly sure what Doug meant by "really bad political music," but
>>one reason I avoid it like the plague is the feeling that I'm getting
>>lectured at by some pious leftish version of a corrupt televangelist.
>
>Exactly that. Or music that you'd never listen to if it had nonpolitical
>lyrics. Not true of the Clash, or Gang of Four, or The Coup.
>
>Doug

[Or Country Joe and the Fish. Can't think of a merrier tune than the one for the I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag:]

Yeah, come on all of you, big strong men, Uncle Sam needs your help again. He's got himself in a terrible jam Way down yonder in Vietnam So put down your books and pick up a gun, We're gonna have a whole lotta fun.

And it's one, two, three, What are we fighting for ? Don't ask me, I don't give a damn, Next stop is Vietnam; And it's five, six, seven, Open up the pearly gates, Well there ain't no time to wonder why, Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

Well, come on generals, let's move fast; Your big chance has come at last. Gotta go out and get those reds The only good commie is the one who's dead And you know that peace can only be won When we've blown 'em all to kingdom come. ...

Well, come on Wall Street, don't move slow, Why man, this is war au-go-go. There's plenty good money to be made By supplying the Army with the tools of the trade, Just hope and pray that if they drop the bomb, They drop it on the Viet Cong. ...

Well, come on mothers throughout the land, Pack your boys off to Vietnam. Come on fathers, don't hesitate, Send 'em off before it's too late. Be the first one on your block To have your boy come home in a box. ...

###

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – FREE download! http://clk.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/