[lbo-talk] activists & Nader

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 22 07:14:38 PST 2004

Art McGee wrote:

> > My argument has been a more modest one than the one that
>> you appear to attribute to me: it's one thing to say,
>> "Vote for Kerry," it's another thing to say, "Don't dare
>> to compete with Kerry, or else"
>
>I'm not aware of anyone on the real Left who has talked
>about an "or else." Labor bureaucrats, Democratic Party
>hacks and other members of the bourgeoise and ruling classes
>might say "or else" but I know that the Manning Marables and
>the Doug Henwoods of the world wouldn't say such things. It's
>certainly not my position.

I don't know who's position it is, really. I wish Ralph wouldn't run, and I wish people wouldn't vote for him, and I'll say this every chance I get to whoever is listening between now and November, but it's certainly Ralph's right to run and peoples' right, Scalia aside, to vote for him. It wouldn't surprise me if Ralph is talking up the threats to him in the interests of melodrama.

Doug