[lbo-talk] Rightist candidate wins El Salvador presidency

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 22 10:58:52 PST 2004

Michael Pugliese:

> though you do accurately score a point against
> Yoshiebot, I assume driven by your geographical
> proximity to her and both of you being in Soli

I don't think I've ever met Yoshie in person. And I am not in Solidarity. Not that that should matter.

> Roque Dalton was killed (accused of being both a
> KGB and CIA agent) by Joaquin Villalobos

Of course. I know this, and it was a tragedy. What I was pre-empting was any attempt by Michael to re-enact his recent silliness about Haiti when it came to El Salvador. Being nonchalant about the bloody Haitian coup is bad enough, but joining in on the slanders against Aristide personally (when no one -- not one of us, anywhere -- would have been able to do a better job had we been in his place, considering those incredibly long odds) is just too much to take. The work of changing the world is very difficult, and people who do it deserve a lot better than facile carping. I have little patience for the braying of impossibilist utopians, be they of the ultraleft species or of the (more common) variety that thinks it must be done bloodlessly and cleanly or not at all.

- - - - - John Lacny

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!