[lbo-talk] re: Chomsky, Nader, and the Green Party

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 22 13:31:00 PST 2004

uvj at vsnl.com wrote:

>Issues like the state of the US economy, global warming,
>proliferation of WMDs etc. -don't seem to bother the US Left?

The economy does for sure, but most U.S. leftists are blaming "outsourcing." It's you Indians, Ulhas, stealing our jobs!

> It's always Iraq, Iraq and Iraq. There are no other issues in the
>coming US election?

It's a pretty important issue. Not the only one, for sure, but it's really big - and not just in itself, but as a taste of what a second Bush admin would do. And the domestic consequences - fiscal ruin, repression, surveillance - that flow from it as well.

Global warming is not all that prominent an issue. The Economist once argued that the environment becomes a political issue mostly at the end of long booms, and they may have a point.

Doug