[lbo-talk] From 2000 to 2004 (Re: Ralph the rightwinger)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 22 22:47:15 PST 2004

>[lbo-talk] Re: Ralph the rightwinger
>arash at riseup.net arash at riseup.net, Mon Mar 22 21:31:04 PST 2004
<snip>
>>I am not sure if it is his first published article, but the
>>earliest piece I was able to find by Ralph Nader was published in
>>the ultra-conservative American Mercury magazine in March 1960.
>
>So does that make Chomsky rightwing for publishing in Commentary? I
>see the drawbacks in Ralph campaigning for corporations to just be
>more responsible, but I don't see what's wrong with him trying to
>get his message across to whoever is willing to listen.
>
>Arash

In 2000, Doug posted the same Bruce Bartlett article with a different subject line: "Nader, conservative?," <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2000/2000-September/016553.html>. It didn't appear to occur to Doug or anyone else on LBO-talk to think of the Bartlett article as a good reason to vote against Nader in 2000

Anyhow, if it is bad to publish an article in a right-wing publication in 1960, isn't it worse to be a right-wing party activist in 1972?

***** I Was a Teen-Age Reactionary Doug Henwood Bad Subjects, Issue # 36, February 1998

I have an embarrassing confession to make: in 1972, I cast my first ever presidential votes - primary and general - against Richard Nixon, because he wasn't conservative enough. The final straw was wage and price controls, a statist defilement of the market's purity. . . .

The moment I got to college, I joined Yale's Party of the Right. . . .

Barry Goldwater Monthly meetings were held at Mory's, the Old Blue hangout, and involved collectively drinking a giant silver cup of a green cocktail. . . .

<http://eserver.org/bs/36/henwood.html> ***** -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>