[lbo-talk] Re: tone, etc.

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Mon Mar 22 22:55:42 PST 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:
> I don't like it that a rough tone keeps people from
> posting, but on the other hand, I think political
> discourse in the U.S. often suffers from an
> excessive politeness.

I do not mean to endorse being abrasive and driving people away, but this quote bears upon Doug's concern over "excessive politeness":

"Some people consider the style of argument prevalent in Cambridge, England, too rude, but it is aimed at getting points clear. I have suffered far more, especially in the USA, from politeness, being fobbed off with compliments just when I was hoping to clinch an argument."

-- Joan Robinson

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the Internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!