[lbo-talk] From 2000 to 2004 (Re: Ralph the rightwinger)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 23 07:15:15 PST 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>In 2000, Doug posted the same Bruce Bartlett article with a
>different subject line: "Nader, conservative?,"
><http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2000/2000-September/016553.html>. It
>didn't appear to occur to Doug or anyone else on LBO-talk to think
>of the Bartlett article as a good reason to vote against Nader in
>2000

I've said all along, even when I was writing editorials endorsing Nader in 1996 and 2000, that he has a deep conservative streak. I've criticized his love of small business and competition, his hair-shirt moralism, his anti-union history, his xenophobia. Most of my 1996 "endorsement" <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Nader.html> consists of criticisms and reservations - the title is "1.75 cheers for Ralph." Times change, opinions change, conjunctures change (unless you're R. Emmett Tyrell, who once told me that he hasn't changed in 30 years).

Doug