[lbo-talk] Re: Ralph the rightwinger

Michael Pugliese michael098762001 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 23 05:50:31 PST 2004

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com>

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 arash at riseup.net wrote:

> So does that make Chomsky rightwing for publishing in Commentary?
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/Archive/DigitalArchive.aspx?SearchId=2e88e0e64e98475e8d446ea184fa8a53 Human Rights and American Foreign Policy A Symposium

Barrett, William; Berger, Peter L.; Brzezinski, Zbigniew; Chomsky, Noam; Decter, Midge; Falk, Richard A.; Glazer, Nathan; Handlin, Oscar; Hook, Sidney; Kirkpatrick, Jeane J.; Lerner, Max; Lipset, Seymour Martin; Maynes, Charles William; McCarthy, Eugene J.; Nisbet, Robert; Novak, Michael; Peretz, Martin; Rustin, Bayard (November 1981)

Recently, the editors of COMMENTARY addressed the following questions to a group of American intellectuals of varying political views: 1. What role, if any, should a concern for human rights play...

Letters

Chomsky, Noam; Grossman, Edward; Sawyer, Dorothy; Schneider, William; Abrams, Elliott; Isaac, Dan; Pechter, William S.; Ianni, Francis A.J.; Bruce-Briggs, B.; Berger, David; Brann, Henry Walter (June 1975)

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/middle_east/jan-june04/iraq_3-19.html Brzezinski>... I think the problem is much wider and bigger than Iraq, and the connection between Iraq and terrorism is tenuous. I think we can begin to redeem the past by working together with the Europeans. But if we are serious about it, then we have to realize that many of the problems that produce terror are conflated, and that you cannot solve the problem of terrorism without addressing the problems that generate terrorism. You have to extirpate the terrorists. But if there is no serious progress towards stability and democracy in Iraq and towards peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians, the mess will continue and probably intensify. And right now, we are not doing much, particularly, about the peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians.

Michael Pugliese