[lbo-talk] re: Chomsky, Nader, and the Green Party

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Mar 23 07:14:30 PST 2004

Jon Johanning wrote:

> You might think there aren't by reading the posts on this list, but in
> fact there are a lot of other issues in play. The state of the economy
> is definitely one (according to quite a few polls, it concerns the
> majority of the electorate more than Iraq);

The state of the US economy concerns the rest of the world as well.

> as for proliferation of WMDs, I'm not sure
> exactly what sort of issue you're thinking of, but if you mean the sort
> of think these guys in Pakistan, etc., have been up to, it seems to be
> mainly an issue for those who pay very close attention to the news,

What if Al Qaeda acquires the WMDs? Nukes in suitcases or chemical/biological weapons?

> In a sense, the present U.S. Left is a continuation of the
> Vietnam War era Left (no especially new ideas or movements have arisen
> since then), and the orientation towards anti-war work is clearly part
> of this continuity.

Perhaps Leninist notion of attacking the "weakest link" is involved here.

> One domestic issue that can be put in simple terms is "pro" vs
> "anti-gay marriage," and the Bush people might very well drum up the
> anti- side pretty strongly if they feel they need to, if their troops
> get thirsty for red blood.

It's amazing that the issue of gay marriages is so controversial in the US.

Ulhas