[lbo-talk] declining #'ers @ anti-war marches (unofficial UK SWP blog)

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Mar 23 08:56:45 PST 2004

Michael Pugliese wrote:

> http://hurryupharry.bloghouse.net/
> As one commenter on an unofficial SWP blog put it:
> http://leninology.blogspot.com/2004_03_01_leninology_archive.html#107980651716597779
> There's only so many marches you can have about an argument you lost over a year ago, so I wouldn't be surprised - in fact I'm certain - that on Saturday we witnessed the last one. It's already shrunk by 75% since the Autumn, so I doubt anyone will bother turning out for the next one. In your heart of hearts you must know this is true as well. The truth is: it's over.
>
> .......When the numbers are only going in one direction - down - then I think we can start to see a pattern emerging. They call it the 'it's all over' pattern, and it would be sheer stupidity not to recognise that.

I told you all so.

The failure of the ANSWER-led peace movement was on ample display this weekend. They've called march after march and the U.S. invaded Iraq and continues to occupy that country. Given that the only bright spots for the anti-war cause have been days of action and dissent organized by non-ANSWER activists, it should be clear by now that ANSWER is not the answer.

On Saturday I managed to push my way through the corwd in San Francisco that was flowing around the dozens of tables that made up the biggest leftist flea market I have ever seen. I got up close to the stage just before IAC chairman-for-life Richard Becker took the mic. At one point he said to the crowd, "Our critics ask us, what happened to the peace movement."

And I yelled out, "YOU KILLED IT!"

Chuck0