[lbo-talk] Re: Corporate Porn to Kids

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 23 14:29:09 PST 2004

BklynMagus sez:

>I think that Ralph N's problem is more his discomfiture with sexuality and
>fear of anything that >transgresses his neo-Victorian sense of primness ...
>he also thought homosexuality and >totalitarianism made a nice couple LOL.

I sez:

It may well be the case that human gender relations and human sexual expression in Nader's utopia (yes, some kind of petty bourgeois utopia) may bear little to no resemblance said phenomena in your utopia or mine. That does not detract from the insightfulness of the observation (certainly not Nader's alone) that sexualized representations in contemporary commercial media at best trivialize human erotic relationships in the service of selling commodities (Frankfurt School's analysis of "repressive desublimation" is on-target here) and at worst contain an authoritarian populist element that shades into fascism (the vulgar misogyny of "libertarian" -- and now ABB'er -- Howard Stern as an epitome of this). Revanchist "family values" crap and the pseudo-"emancipated" culture of wet T-shirt contests and female mud wrestling are two sides of the same coin -- the once-mighty US in imperial decline.

John Gulick Knoxville, TN (Seymour Hersh called it "the buckle of the Bible Belt")

_________________________________________________________________ Find a broadband plan that fits. Great local deals on high-speed Internet access. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/