[lbo-talk] Re: Corporate Porn to Kids

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Tue Mar 23 14:58:37 PST 2004

>> Somewhere (in _Minima Moralia_ I think) Adorno writes disparagingly
of
>> "sex taken as exercise."
>
> He also thought homosexuality and totalitarianism made a nice
> couple LOL. Adorno on sex, like Scalia on Fire Island Pines, should
> be consulted for entertainment value only.

I guess you're thinking of "Tough Baby" in _Minima Moralia_, but there is also his vigorous denunciation of the German law against homosexuality in the essay "Sexual Taboo and Law Today" in _Critical Models_. The second deserves to be better known than it is.

Maybe I'm just being touchy because he is a favorite thinker of mine, and perhaps I am too willing to overlook his faults, but someone who wrote that that a sound notion just society has its basis in physical pleasure (again in _MM_--not near the exact formulation, though, because I don't have the book handy) is not somebody who can be assimilated to vicious prudes like Scalia.

Curtiss