[lbo-talk] Re: Corporate Porn to Kids

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Tue Mar 23 19:18:52 PST 2004

At 06:25 PM 3/23/2004, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Kids on the farm didn't experiment with sex? It's only MTV that's given
>them the idea?
>
>Doug

I just reported this convo to my son. He's been raised in a home where we've tried to be pretty open about these things. I'm not permissive, I don't believe. Authoritative is more my style, providing enough privacy so that he doesn't feel smothered. See Doug's interview with Suzy Bright.

Anyway, the sonshine says some of you are nuts. He's seen plenty of MTV (he didn't see it at 11 in our home, but at the neighbor's -- who, incidentally, have terrific, wonderful boys, three of them. One of them is really growing up, heading off to join the special forces soon. He would shatter most of your mythic thinking about what kind of kids are interested in becoming a member of the special forces).

Anyway, my kid's seen his share of porn (a cache they discovered at the disc golf park near our old home) and I'm sure they found the gay porn that belonged to my ex and me. Members of Testosterone Central like to play the dozens with one kid, Leandro, never letting him live down the night he cried at 3 a.m. when the sonshine made Leandro put the porn away so everyone could get some sleep at sleep over/birthday celebration a couple of years ago. They had to go fishing the next morning, damn it. Put you meat away!

Q: When did you first start thinking about sex?