[lbo-talk] Does Trade With China Matter?

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Tue Mar 23 19:27:57 PST 2004

nathan wrote You can dodge and weave, but the reality is that as pathetic as labor rights are in Honduras or Indonesia, a bunch of workers can get together, declare themselves a union, elect a leadership-- and the government won't automatically haul the elected leadership off to jail or worse. They may all be fired by their employer, but at least the state apparatus is not doing the employers' dirty work.

--here you miss the key point that jonathan raised earlier about taiwanese workers' experience w/ afl-cio concern about their ability to organize free trade unions and 2) the difference you see is really not that great i'm afraid. it's not a matter of doding and weaving, it's just a matter of noting the thin standards applied to justify this call for stopping trade with China and not doing the same with other countries that are notorious abusers of labor rights. ------------------------------------------ While in China, the government regularly jails or hospitalizes as insane leaders of independent unions. See: http://www.laborrightsnow.org/Liaoyang4.htm http://www.nosweat.org.uk/article.php?sid=671&mode=thread&order=0

--sure, no one denies or approves of that here. but you find even worse in countries south of the border and in many asian nations... ----------------------------------------------- I doubt it-- China has been privatizing away on its own quite happily, irrespective of the WTO.

--au contraire...thus the tensions over the WTO negotiations that, even after entry into the WTO on America's terms, exist and frustrate foreign capital to this day. ----------------------------------------------- I don't see any grounds for building solidarity when anyone who formed an organization for solidarity would likely be jailed.

--how do you organize solidarity in countries south of the border then? --------------- Threats of boycotts against companies and/or countries engaged in sub-standard labor conditions is standard labor practice for the history of labor organizing. I am just always amazed that when the same tactic is applied to China, suddenly all these China defenders treat the tactic as illegitimate.

--nothing amazing at all. i've not heard of calls for boycotts of investment south of the border...indonesia...i've heard of boycotts of specific companies, sure. usually boycotts of countries are only for those that are our designated enemies or 'threats' of one sort or another. and gimme a break nathan, you might not be well read on China literature, but try coming up with a better slur than 'china defender' of people like jonathan lassen, john gulick, or myself. i can't speak for Gulick, but lassen and I both have had plenty and plenty of experience with real life labor activists on both sides of the taiwan straits...we're not speaking as defenders of any goddamned ruling elite...the record plainly shows that.