[lbo-talk] Re: M20 focus (was ANSWER up to same old dirty tricks)

Lance Murdoch lancemurdoch at lycos.com
Wed Mar 24 00:14:00 PST 2004

From: Chuck0
> ANSWER butted heads with UFPJ off stage, because ANSWER
> didn't want anybody to make a big stink about the plans for
> protest pens. As some of you know, ANSWER never met a
> protest pen they didn't like, so this is in keeping with
> their long history of cooperation with the police.

Yes, there were people dressed as cow, sheeps and pigs handing out flyers that said "Pens are for cows sheeps and pigs not for people". The NYPD was not as bad this time as say, the WEF rally and march, with pens and the like.

Bill Weinberg has an interview with Leslie Cagan ( http://ww3report.com/movement.html ), where she says one of the problems with the march and rally was over focus. Being that it was the one year anniversary of the invasion, UFPJ wanted it focused on Iraq, Cagan says ANSWER wanted it focused dually on Iraq and Palestine (actually, from seeing the ANSWER signs, they seemed to be focused on everything from freeing the Cuban 5 to Haiti to whatever).

One of my friends came and said he thought the march was not focused enough, and that that would turn some people off. He was not turned off, although he was unhappy it was unfocused, but he felt other people might be. Some guy on Democratic Underground said he went to a march in Philadelphia and right away saw Free Mumia stuff and a bunch of Palestinian flags, and as he was there a bit with his wife he began to feel he was surrounded by loony left crazies and he split.

I would say I am more apt to agree with people who say ANSWER is the one in the wrong. Then again, I don't know many people who have nice things to say about ANSWER and the WWP. Being that I don't completely despise them (yet), I probably have a, relatively, sunnier view about ANSWER and the WWP than many do. I guess I'd want to hear their side of the story. Then again, I don't want to know too much about these little UFPJ/ANSWER squabble - that might hurt my brain.

-- Lance

____________________________________________________________ Find what you are looking for with the Lycos Yellow Pages http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default.asp?SRC=lycos10