[lbo-talk] Re: Corporate Porn to Kids

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Mar 24 06:32:31 PST 2004

> By the way, what do our MTV-haters make of Comedy Central? Are young
> minds also being poisoned by South Park, or is it just spring break
> cheesecake that corrupts the children?
>
> Doug

My 13-year-old daughter is into things I don't even know about -- that's the fact of life at this stage, I'm afraid. All a parent can do once the kid is exposed to sex talk and images is hope that you've done a good job raising her. I talk to her about the music she listens to, and as hip as I think I am, there's a whole world I'm completely ignorant of. Plus, the girls she hangs with talk about sex all the time (the "fucks" and "shits" fly freely), so there's no getting around that. MTV merely taps into this reality hoping to maximize profit share. We can, and should, criticize the corporate behemoths for turning everything into a fucking commodity, and try to instill in our kids the same critical mindset (I've had some success on this front). But sex, as Joanna says, is always there, and requires a different type of parental attention.

DP