[lbo-talk] RE: Walmart

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sun Mar 28 15:14:16 PST 2004

On Sunday, March 28, 2004, at 11:00 AM, kelley at pulpculture.org wrote:

> The Technophiliacs say that the Font Fondlers are using their supposed
> concern for users as a cover for whining about their situation, and
> that's just unprofessional! If the Font Fondlers had any self-respect,
> they'd suck it up, realize they were fighting a losing battle, and
> it's stupid hill to die on anyway because why identify with (l)users
> since all this stuff about usability is just smoke and mirrors dreamed
> up by wackademics who don't understand the dictates of the bidneth.

My current project of reviewing some of Marx's basic concepts suggests to me that, in his terms, the "Font Fondlers" are living in the world of use value -- they are concerned with producing something that the ultimate users can use -- whereas the "Technophiliacs" are arguing that their company, as a capitalist enterprise, is really only about generating exchange value: if you can sell your product at a price that allows you to make a profit, who the hell cares if it can be used?

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile