[lbo-talk] IRA & ETA?

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Sun Mar 28 19:25:05 PST 2004

Carrol Cox wrote:

> The Greek word for a colony is only by accident the same as the

> modern word for colony: there is simply no relationship.

Not even by accident. The closest ancient Greek word I believe - it's been too many years - is "apoikia". The sense is closest to "settlement far away". "kolon" is a good Greek word, but only refers to a part of the anatomy.

> And it is more than that they weren't capitalist colonies. They

> weren't colonies in any sense that implies exploitation.

> Repeat: The Athenian empire exploited in dependent allies, not

> colonies.

Yes. I am sorry I haven't been following this thread, and perhaps someone has already pointed out the similarity between the Athenian cleruchies and some settler colonies, e.g. Algeria or Israel. The cleruchy - as opposed to an "apoikia" - was a settlement of Athenians on land taken from another people. Plutarch has Pericles sending out cleruchies "to relieve the city of the lazy mob which took too much interest in public affairs because of its idleness, and to repair the poverty of the people. He did this also to establish a garrison as an object of fear to the allies to prevent them from making a rebellion." Plut. _Per._ 11.5

john mage