[lbo-talk] Blacklist or bad economy?

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Mar 29 13:57:56 PST 2004

As some of you may have heard, I went out to California a week ago for a job interview. Now normally when somebody flies you out for a job interview, they take you seriously as a candidate. Yet once again despite being a strong candidate for *two* positions, I ended up getting neither of them.

We all know that the economy sucks and that means hundreds of people applying for the same jobs. I've been looking for full time work for 3 years as of this month. My resume is really damn strong even when I leave all the work I do on political websites off of it. My ration for snagging job interviews is pretty good for the number of jobs that I apply for. Yet I just can't seem to land a job despite doing everything correctly.

I suspect that the thing that tripped me up for this most recent job was the fact that this company requested my permission to do a credit check. My credit sucks, given what I've gone through as a result of being unemployed. But isn't this just a form of economic blacklisting? How is my credit report relevant to my abilities to do work for a company?

The other possibility that I think is responsible for my inability to find work is "Google discrimination." In other words, prospective employers plug my name into Google and find all kinds of interesting stuff attached to my name. Interesting radical stuff. Anarchist and activist crap. Controversial opinions.

I've really run out of gas on this job search thing. I feel like throwing in the towel and joining the growing ranks of those who have given up looking for work. On the plus side, I do have a phone interview for a librarian job in New York City, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

It seems to me that given my political history appearing all over the web that I might as well accept that and go apply for a job at the grocery store. Running popular anarchist websites doesn't bring in any money and I really think that I just can't go back to working in a professional office. One option would be to go back to college and get a degree so I can become a professor, which would give me the security to do activist shit. I don't really want to do that, so I'm wondering if I should just devote myself to organizing the Million Unemployed March to coincide with the Million Worker March.

Work sucks. Kill your boss.

Chuck0