[lbo-talk] Blacklist or bad economy?

jeffrey fisher jfisher at igc.org
Mon Mar 29 14:02:05 PST 2004

On Monday, March 29, 2004, at 04:57 PM, Chuck0 wrote:

> I suspect that the thing that tripped me up for this most recent job
> was the fact that this company requested my permission to do a credit
> check. My credit sucks, given what I've gone through as a result of
> being unemployed. But isn't this just a form of economic blacklisting?
> How is my credit report relevant to my abilities to do work for a
> company?

i'm curious for responses to this. i've seen a lot of stuff recently about prospective employers doing credit checks on prospective employees, the logic being that it's a measure of ir/responsibility. of course, that doesn't really take into account some of the things that can happen to you when you lose your job and go unemployed for a long time. insurance companies do credit checks for the same reason -- it's not just whether or not you'll pay; they check your credit to establish rates.

just another reason to keep yourself out of credit card debt when you're young. when you're getting older it's awful hard to fix, especially in a downturn.