[lbo-talk] Academic jobs? Really?

Robert D. Day rdday at mchsi.com
Mon Mar 29 20:37:09 PST 2004

Does the BLS keep stats on the proportion of tenure-track positions? Large university vs. small liberal arts college vs. community college? Job openings by discipline? These are all things to consider when discussing the academic job market. I suspect that a Ph.D. in accounting or biology may have an almost pleasurable job search, while I am fairly certain that most people with degrees in English or history are having a dismal time.

Does anyone know of any writing about the use of graduate teaching assistants in English departments (to teach the dreaded freshman composition and literature survey classes, where the volume of student writing to grade is often greater than in other subjects) having a direct, demonstrable effect on flooding the Ph.D. market?

--- Robert D. Day

----- Original Message ----- From: "joanna bujes" <jbujes at covad.net> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 10:16 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Academic jobs? Really?

Miles writes: "Check out the BLS; over the next 10 years, academic positions are in the top ten for number of jobs opening up. I can understand why Chuck's not enthusiastic about the prof track, but the jobs are there. --Or you could be an RN."

I saw that BLS thing and I queried the list before but no one answered. Is this really possible? Is it conceivable I could get a teaching job? Does anyone know whether this is anything more than smoke and mirrors? Does it include English profs?

Joanna