[lbo-talk] Re: Bush's Poll Number Go Up

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Tue Mar 30 11:14:00 PST 2004

> I'm not attacking you, but here's the thing: If that's not what he was

> doing, 'splain me this: Why didn't the twit make a fuss, say, before
we
> starting blowing up things in Iraq? I'd heart Clarke had he blown the
> whistle when it _really_ mattered.

Clarke's book was delayed for several months by a White House security review. I suppose he could have just opened his mouth earlier, or just quit and not continued on with his cyber-security work in '02...and then there's the question of how long it would take a long-time career insider who believed in bipartisan continuity to realize that here was an administration that was truly different from the ones he'd worked in before.

I don't heart Clarke in that the sort of nat'l security state he supported and worked for wasn't one I liked either. But I think there are probably lots of good reasons he didn't come out with this earlier.

Also, when would these revelations have _really_ mattered? In the run up to the war, before the WMD claim was completely discredited and while the al Qaeda-Saddam link had currency? During the war? Immediately after the flight-suit photo-op?

Curtiss