[lbo-talk] Green dropouts

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Tue Mar 30 12:40:00 PST 2004

>Which reminds me - several people have said they were unpersuaded by
>John Halle's account of why he didn't run for re-election. Any
>further thoughts, John?

I have known about Matt's decision not to run again since January.

My response is congratulations.

The continual denigration of the Green Party achieved its goal which was to create the widespread impression among potential supporters that activism within the Green Party (or any other organized electoral entity such as the Labor Party) leads, as you put it a while back, to "brain damage." As I wrote in my piece, Matt and I were doing what we were doing based on the hope-though not the expectation-that we might be contributing a "brick in the wall" for the only kind of politics which, we believe, has the potential to address the root causes of the problems we face.

We began to recognize that we were not going to be successful in this capacity partly because of the effective propagandizing of people like yourself with access to the establishment progressive media. So we gave up. We both got better things to do with our lives. That's the long and short of it.

So you won and we lost. Whether everyone else also lost is a question which others might want to do some thinking about.

John

P.S. I have yet to hear anything minimally intelligent from anyone who was "unpersuaded" by my account of my experiences, whatever that might mean.