[lbo-talk] Re: Three Quick Things

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 12:42:32 PST 2004

"BklynMagus" wrote:

> 1) Janet Jackson was bleeped last night on
Letterman for saying Jesus. Theocracy here we come.

Can't quite figure that one out. Anyone know why this happened? Appeasement of all those who hated who her Super Bowl shenanigans? ("Well, I guess we oughta censor her SOME way to keep everyone happy"?)

> 2) Al Franken said in an interview: "Using humor is
helpful and makes politics go down easy. It's candy. And hopefully, that's what our show will be."

> Class conscious and struggle through humor. Is
someone ever going to tell this bozo that right wing radio works because of passion, not humor?

Al Qaeda has a lot of passion, but not much sympathy here (thankfully). Same goes for many radical leftist street demonstrations--a lot of passion, but not a lot of sympathy, much of the time. It's passion that appeals to conservative AM radio fanatics, alright, but it's a type of passion that connects up with listeners' pre-existing nationalist, racist, and class biases, imo.

I'd be interested in any study that delves into whether people feel "safer" acting outraged, strident, etc., when voicing opinions they believe the masters already hold. People really seem to be comfortable waxing pasionate when they think the ruling class already believes the same thing. I think at root the problem is slavish, worshipfulness of power, of people being eager to associate themselves with what is tough and domineering.