[lbo-talk] Green dropouts

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 30 15:21:41 PST 2004

John Halle wrote:

>I'm much happier going back to what I was doing before, I can assure you.
>
>So, to be clear, I am not "whining;" that's your job when it comes
>to the Nader campaign.
>
>Rather, our calculation was that our activism in the Greens would
>not pay dividends at this time given the forces arrayed against us.
>Of course, we might be wrong, and I hope we are wrong. I would love
>to be convinced otherwise.
>
>In any case, you were among those forces opposing us now just as you
>would have been in opposition to all of those parties you mention
>and appear, disingenuously, to celebrate here. Remember: party
>activism (not just ours but all forms of electoral activism) leads
>to "brain damage" according to you.
>
>You should own up to and others should recognize the destructiveness
>of your attitudes.

Some people are suited to running for political office. I'm not. It requires too much glad-handing, compromise, prevarication, sloganeering, and the suspension of critical thought.

Own up? Fuck you. Neither I nor anyone I know of is opposed to Greens organizing and running for office on a local level. In fact, that's exactly where they should start. Gonzalez giving up after winning 47% of the vote looks petulant and impatient. And your attitude makes me regret ever having given you a minute of radio time to promote your political adventures or your music. But it's bullshit. If you & Gonzalez are driven out of politics by the likes of me, you never had what it took in the first place. Fuck you.

Doug