[lbo-talk] Green dropouts

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Tue Mar 30 14:25:04 PST 2004

>Man, you guys are a bunch of whiners. If criticism from the likes of
>me drove you out of the game - and I completely supported what you
>did in NH, so I don't know how this even applies to me - then how you
>going to take on the real power in this country? It took the Swedish
>social democrats something like 40 years from their founding before
>they won a significant electoral victory. And in their early days,
>they worked with established liberal parties to push their agenda -
>for decades. And Gonzalez got 47% of the vote, despite being
>massively outspent. That's something to build on, not abandon. In
>Sweden, 2/3 of the adult male population couldn't even vote in the
>early 20th century, yet they persisted.
>
>This reaction pushes me very close to being convinced the Green Party
>(or Parties) is (or are) just not serious.

I'm much happier going back to what I was doing before, I can assure you.

So, to be clear, I am not "whining;" that's your job when it comes to the Nader campaign.

Rather, our calculation was that our activism in the Greens would not pay dividends at this time given the forces arrayed against us. Of course, we might be wrong, and I hope we are wrong. I would love to be convinced otherwise.

In any case, you were among those forces opposing us now just as you would have been in opposition to all of those parties you mention and appear, disingenuously, to celebrate here. Remember: party activism (not just ours but all forms of electoral activism) leads to "brain damage" according to you.

You should own up to and others should recognize the destructiveness of your attitudes.

John -- -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20040330/ba11cb4e/attachment.htm>