[lbo-talk] Cultural Change?

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Sat May 1 07:21:36 PDT 2004

At 9:01 pm +0000 30/4/04, Carl Remick wrote:
>Yes, the counterculture opened up huge holes ... one micron deep.
>While I recall the sixties as a great time to be young, I'm sorry to
>say the era was a complete waste of time in terms of lasting
>positive effect.

Women's rights. And that hasn't only been in the US, it's global. I think it would have been unimaginable without the explosion of the 60s and 70s. That's the one enduring legacy, even in parts of the world where it may not be so apparent.

> The USA wouldn't be the utterly malignant fucked-up mess it is
>today if the counterculture had made any difference at all. Sad.

But perhaps today's mess is also to some degree a product of the "counter-culture" -- the kind of culture it was? There was a lot that was messed up about the period -- and I guess inevitable in view of what it was reacting to.

kj khoo