[lbo-talk] Cultural Change?

R rhisiart at charter.net
Sat May 1 21:06:12 PDT 2004

the period of the 1960s and 70s was an embryonic period for today's far right. barry goldwater looks almost liberal today. during that period, militants, liberals, lefties, etc, were constantly being "warned" by the powers that be about "backlash." reagan was a product of that backlash. and so is shrub. we're living in that backlash.

womens lib is a marvelous thing. just don't patronize Curves or buy a Dominos Pizza or Coors Beer if you want to keep it. and don't believe the world runs better under female leadership, or that women are less warlike. indira gandhi, margaret thatcher and ethically challenged madeleine albright should have disabused people of that notion. the current head of military prisons in iraq is Brigadier General Janis Karpinski, who's been busy doing her bureaucratic military thing and not making waves -- which got her a generalship -- rather than training her troops and keeping the mercenaries out of her prisons.

----- Original Message ----- From: <kjkhoo at softhome.net> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 7:21 AM Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Cultural Change?

At 9:01 pm +0000 30/4/04, Carl Remick wrote:
>Yes, the counterculture opened up huge holes ... one micron deep.
>While I recall the sixties as a great time to be young, I'm sorry to
>say the era was a complete waste of time in terms of lasting
>positive effect.

Women's rights. And that hasn't only been in the US, it's global. I think it would have been unimaginable without the explosion of the 60s and 70s. That's the one enduring legacy, even in parts of the world where it may not be so apparent.

> The USA wouldn't be the utterly malignant fucked-up mess it is
>today if the counterculture had made any difference at all. Sad.

But perhaps today's mess is also to some degree a product of the "counter-culture" -- the kind of culture it was? There was a lot that was messed up about the period -- and I guess inevitable in view of what it was reacting to.