[lbo-talk] "Cheer the Fuck Up"

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun May 2 09:54:31 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2 May 2004, Ted Winslow wrote:

> Doug quoted Foucault:
>
> > "Do not think that one has to be sad in order to be militant, even
> > though the thing one is fighting is abominable." - Foucault
>
> Does this mean that, given we can "imagine" people as "an appropriate
> target for hatred and struggle," we can have fun killing them?
>
> Ted

I think this is one of the crucial things to understand about F: "the thing one is fighting" is not a person or even a group of people. Rather, it is the social formation that makes certain types of people and groups. (This always stuck me as one of the more explicitly Marxist themes in Foucault's work.)

Miles