[lbo-talk] "Cheer the Fuck Up"

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Sun May 2 12:45:18 PDT 2004

Miles Jackson wrote:

> I think this is one of the crucial things to understand about F:
> "the thing one is fighting" is not a person or even a group of
> people. Rather, it is the social formation that makes certain
> types of people and groups.

"In the case of popular justice ... you have the masses and their enemies. Furthermore, the masses, when they perceive somebody to be an enemy, when they decide to punish this enemy - or to re-educate him - do not rely on an abstract universal idea of justice, they rely on their own experience, that of the injuries they have suffered, that of the way in which they have been wronged in which they have been oppressed; and, finally, their decision is not an authoritative one, that is, they are not backed up by a state apparatus which has the power to enforce their decisions, they purely and simply carry them out." Foucault, Power/Knowledge, pp. 8-9

Ted