[lbo-talk] Purging Black Votes: 2000 and 2004

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun May 2 21:04:13 PDT 2004

Brad Mayer wrote:

> The virtually complete capitulation of the American progressive left -
> Chomsky, Greens, SF Bay Guardian and so forth - to the Democrats was
> utterly predictable post-911 and the subsequent Bush rampage, especially
> after the crude bullying of the Nader/Green 2000 campaign.
> Predictiable, that is, to those of us who have taken its true measure.
>
> But it is an utter disgrace. The progressive left, by folding its tent
> in this way, has handed the right wing, including Bush and the neocons,
> a huge victory. The left has shown that bullying works, that it can be
> safely ignored, and that there won't be an alternative at a critical
> historical juncture for the U.S.
>
> The American progressive left is a desert.
>
> Meanwhile, the Designated Loser looks to be on track to realize his
> predetermined destiny:

Amen. As much as I agree with 95% of what Chomsky writes and says, his announced support for Kerry has been one of the most disappointing things I have ever heard coming out of Chomsky's mouth. I won't go into the reasons why Chomsky is wrong, but I'd like to say that Brad makes several important points. There are greens and other leftists who understand how important it is to stick by their support for a third party and not jump on the ABB bandwagon piloted by scared lemmings. As a Green-friendly anarchist in Kansas City pointed out to me last week, if the Nader and the Greens capitulate to the Democraps calls for them to unify behind Kerry, you can kiss the Green and third party politics goodbye for a LONG time. Because what will happen the next election is that the Democrats will go around to the Left and say, "Hey, you guys supported us in 2004, so why aren't you supporting us in 2008. We know that you all are really closet Democrats."

We all know that the Left is not made up of closet Democrats.

On a related note, an anarchist comrade asked a group of us tonight at some truck stop why there aren't any "Kerry '04" bumperstickers on cars.

Has anybody on this list seen anybody with a pro-Kerry bumpersticker on their car?

Chuck0