[lbo-talk] Purging Black Votes: 2000 and 2004

snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Mon May 3 04:56:33 PDT 2004

At 12:04 AM 5/3/2004, Chuck0 wrote:

>Has anybody on this list seen anybody with a pro-Kerry bumpersticker on
>their car?
>
>Chuck0

For the most part, I haven't see any bumper stickers, except for old ones.

I have seen Conservatives for Kerry. I've also seen "Democrat and proud of it" around here, which feels pretty strange given the public rhetoric tends to disparage identification with democrats. Now, I live in a Greek fishing village and 25% of the population is Greek, so the Democratic party is pretty strong compared to the rest of the county, especially compared to the school district my son attends which isn't in this area, but 12 miles away in a far more affluent area.

I don't think the bumper stickering thing happens in full force 'til much closer to the election. The point of stickers, pins, posters, front yard signs is to influence the undecideds by plastering the name all over the place just before an election. IT has the effect of getting everyone wondering what's going on and paying attention to the issue. The point is to make it seem like everybody is voting for Kerry. (or Shrub) The audience for this last minute push are the undecided, apoliticals, indepependents, and new voters many of whom don't tune in until very late in the campaign, when it's nearly impossible to avoid it.

The one guy who I know who sports an old Bush/Cheney 2000 sticker is so pissed off about Iraq, he's not going to vote for him. He was pissed off three months ago, and this is a guy who has some weird views about Islam, which he claims is based on stories that can't be proved, whereas Christian stories can be proved!

So far, the republican strategy of negative campaigning _against_ kerry doesn't seem to be working. Where they tried to define Kerry as a flip flopper, the opinion polls are showing they think Shrub is the flip flopper.

Kelley