[lbo-talk] RE: Guest suggestions

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 3 14:48:03 PDT 2004

joanna bujes wrote:

>may lin (she lives in NYC- I think that's her name; she designed the
>Nam memorial)

Maya Lin. She did a very nasty thing two years ago. Reverend W. David Lee, a New Haven-based graduate of the Yale Divinity School, ran for the university's governing body, the aptly named Yale Corporation on a progressive, pro-union platform. Such officially unsanctioned candidacies are rare, and the authorities were alarmed. They persuaded Lin to run against him - a brilliant choice, since she's an Asian woman, which gave her diversity cred; she's an artist, which gave her cultural cred; and she designed that memorial, which gave her liberal cred. (From what I've heard, Lin isn't particularly political.) She trounced Lee, thus assuring that Yale's viciously anti-union, anti-New Haven policies could continue without challenge from within.

Doug