[lbo-talk] Kerry Struggling to Find a Theme, Democrats Fear

R rhisiart at charter.net
Mon May 3 23:20:45 PDT 2004

overconfidence is a dangerous thing. as is nonsense about kerry's "surprisingly good organization" and "a great grassroots movement." at best, kerry is fast tracked to the nomination because the other candidates defeated themselves.

the fall election is shrub's to win or loose. who's going to throw shrub's crap back at him? the docile democrats who couldn't put gore in office after he won the 2000 election? what mysterious force has suddenly turned this failed party loose? cui bono?

we'll see how far anybody-but-bush can take kerry, along with the eternally opportunistic and self-serving "democratic establishment mobilized behind him." not being part of the taken for granted "Dem spectrum," i'm not fond of what the democratic establishment can get behind. one must watch where one steps back there.

i'll have to ask myself, "How Would Jesus Vote?" ;-)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan Newman" <nathanne at nathannewman.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 3:37 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Kerry Struggling to Find a Theme, Democrats Fear

----- Original Message ----- From: "R" <rhisiart at charter.net>

| Sure- but so what? The issue was whether Kerry was somehow in trouble.

-whether or not kerry is in trouble is basically irrelevant. there's a long -way to go to november. and no matter how kerry looks to you, he's up -against a very sordid and skilled republican party, combined with an -electorate that's so burdened by the national propaganda machine that the -election could go either way right up to the last.

Don't buy it. Kerry will win easily. We have a great grassroots movement building on the ground and Bush is losing credibility by the day. And Bush and his minions' skills are overrated-- yeah, they will throw crap, but crap will be thrown back at them.

>the party's right wing sabotaged the best chance to win the election
without
>running a third rate sellout when it got rid of Dean.

I liked Dean. I sent him money. But the rightwing didn't knock him out. He knocked himself out by getting into a mudslinging match with Gephardt in Iowa. It was a huge strategic mistake and then he compounded it by blowing all his money in New Hampshire, leaving him nothing to fight with afterwards.

Kerry won the nomination with good strategy and a surprisingly good organization. It was no juiced conspiracy on his behalf. Once he won the early rounds, the Dem establishment mobilized behind him, but that came from all parts of the Dem spectrum, due to the desire to move forward. The DLCers were actually pretty damn marginal. Their favorite candidate, Joe Lieberman, was completely trashed, shoing their lack of real influence.

nathan