[lbo-talk] Ralph Nader, Suicide Bomber

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Wed May 5 15:02:28 PDT 2004

Shane Mage:

> At this point, such a proposal seems to me to merit
> general support from professed leftists (yes, I know
> that getting leftists to agree on any strategy is
> somewhat harder than herding cats).

It's good to see that before suggesting that all leftists should go do something, Shane has provided us with a detailed breakdown of which states allow for fusion voting and which do not ("There may be legal obstacles in some states" -- love that precision!), and a credible campaign plan to change the laws in those states between now and November, 'cause you know, that would be a worthwhile use of resources at this critical time. Shane's campaign plan is phrased in the passive voice, as is always appropriate in these cases:

> Whatever marginal influence leftists have should be
> exerted wholeheartedly to this end. Nader should be
> told that rejection of such an anti-Bushit alliance of
> convenience would mark him as indeed a revenge-
> motivated spoiler and cost him any hope of leftist
> support. And Kerry should be told, in no less certain
> tones, that rejection of united elector nominations
> would definitively mark him as no different from Ubu

Such attractive simplicity. Kerry will "be told" some things, Nader will "be told" some things, and it's done. This sure doesn't look to me like a harebrained scheme completely bereft of any real plans worth taking seriously!

And to think that I have been paying so much attention lately to the mundane plans of the 527s to go out and do door-to-door voter registration and education, beginning with the big kickoff this Saturday. Let's all forget about all the boring work of actually defeating the regime, and rest assured that something will "be done," by unspecified individuals, that will not only defeat Bush but will leave Shane Mage's conscience unsullied with "support to the Dumbocratic faction of the imperialists" and open "electoral space to the left of the Republicon/Dumbocrat duopoly."

Great plan, let's get to work! Or rather, let's not, since that's the whole point, isn't it?

- - - - - John Lacny http://www.johnlacny.com

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!