[lbo-talk] Ralph Nader, Suicide Bomber

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed May 5 23:02:09 PDT 2004

I agree with (most of) your reasons for opposing the present administration -- which I certainly do -- but doubt that they alone prove that a Gore administration would have been better for the "working-class, poor people and blacks," even if such an assertion is susceptible to proof.

We might find it probable, but there is some argument on the other side, viz., a Gore administration would have been a continuation of the incumbent administration, a Potemkin village of liberalism that disproportionately injured the working class, the poor and blacks by NAFTA, welfare reform and crime legislation. On the Nixon-goes-to-China model, it got through dismantlings of the New Deal that fulfilled the dreams of the previous Republican administrations. Why would a Gore term be different?

Having missed the Founding Plenum of the People's Front Against Bush, I groaned and marveled to find myself petit-bourgeois. (I'd always liked Gore Vidal's "Thank God I wasn't born middle-class.") I agree with Chomsky, that "Activist movements, if at all serious, pay virtually no attention to which faction of the business party is in office, but continue with their daily work, from which elections are a diversion..."

But, renouncing left-adventurism, I also agree with Chomsky when he says the following:

"Kerry is sometimes described as Bush-lite, which is not inaccurate, and in general the political spectrum is pretty narrow in the United States, and elections are mostly bought, as the population knows.

"But despite the limited differences both domestically and internationally, there are differences. And in this system of immense power, small differences can translate into large outcomes.

"My feeling is pretty much the way it was in the year 2000. I admire Ralph Nader and Denis Kucinich very much, and insofar as they bring up issues and carry out an educational and organisational function -- that's important, and fine, and I support it.

"However, when it comes to the choice between the two factions of the business party, it does sometimes, in this case as in 2000, make a difference. A fraction.

"That's not only true for international affairs, it's maybe even more dramatically true domestically. The people around Bush are very deeply committed to dismantling the achievements of popular struggle through the past century. The prospect of a government which serves popular interests is being dismantled here. It's an administration that works, that is devoted, to a narrow sector of wealth and power, no matter what the cost to the general population. And that could be extremely dangerous in the not very long run."

So I very much want the present administration to be tossed out. Of course, here in Illinois, a "safe" Democratic state, I'm free to vote for whoever appeals to me as president -- Nader, Cobb, or Chomsky on a write-in -- for if Kerry doesn't take Illinois comfortably, he hasn't a chance. --CGE