[lbo-talk] Another reason to hate dittoheads

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu May 6 10:13:05 PDT 2004

>From: Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org>
>
>Just had an exchange with my father in which I yelled at him "you fucking
>sexist pig."
>
>Didn't think I had it in me.
>
>Exchange took place after I caught one of my sisters watching Fox News.
>She's not one of the right wing members of the family, so I was a bit
>worried that she was headed down the same path as other family members.
>After my sister and I traded some arguments, my father wanders in and says
>that the torture of Iraqi prisoners is cool because it was done by American
>female soldiers. He said that this showed that the liberals got what they
>deserved because they let women into the military. Then he said something
>else about the inferiority of women that led to my outburst.

[The issue of women being equal-opportunity oppressors has certainly gotten Peggy Noonan in a twist. i.e.:]

... The most distressing of the scandal photos is, to me, the one of an American woman, a GI, who is laughing, holding a cigarette and aiming her fingers as if comically shooting or aiming at a group of prisoners, presumably Iraqi. They are naked and hooded. She looks coarse, cruel, perhaps drunk. And as I looked at her I thought Oh, no. This is not equality but mutual degradation. Can anyone imagine a WAC of 1945, or a WAVE of 1965, acting in this manner? I can't. Because WACs and WAVEs were not only members of the American armed forces, which responsibility brought its own demands in terms of dignity and bearing; they were women. They apparently did not think they had to prove they were men, or men at their worst. I've never seen evidence to suggest the old-time WACs and WAVEs had to delve down into some coarse and vulgar part of their nature to fit in, to show they were one of the guys, as tough as the guys, as ugly at their ugliest.

But the young woman soldier in the scandal photo--she looked, shall we say, confused about these issues. It was chilling. Perhaps we should be worrying about that, too.

<http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=110005043>

Carl