[lbo-talk] Anybody But Kerry the Dole of 2004?

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Thu May 6 10:39:30 PDT 2004

On Thursday, May 6, 2004, at 12:45 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> The Anybody But Bush crowd -- aka the Chicken wing of the Democratic
> Party -- are a fickle bunch. After wasting their time attacking Ralph
> Nader against their own best interests, they have begun to sound a
> note of Anybody But Kerry: e.g., James Ridgeway, "John Kerry Must Go"
> (April 27, 2004); and Marc Cooper, "Not Too Late: Anybody But Kerry"
> (April 27, 2004). Unfortunately for Cooper and Ridgeway, it is too
> late, as John Nichols acknowledges

The way things are going, the whole chess board is likely to be thrown over by the time of the party conventions, it looks to me. The Bush administration itself may be falling apart, Kerry might decide to really show that he is not George's "Mini-Me," or he might continue his "I'm not waiting to become president before my face is carved on the side of that mountain" routine, and the DP convention might open up.

We're on the roller-coaster ride now, and no one knows how many bumps and curves lie ahead. In any case, anyone who tries now to predict Election Day is asking for trouble.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Belinda: Ay, but you know we must return good for evil. Lady Brute: That may be a mistake in the translation.

-- Sir John Vanbrugh: The Provok’d Wife (1697), I.i.