[lbo-talk] Anybody But Kerry the Dole of 2004?

R rhisiart at charter.net
Thu May 6 21:56:48 PDT 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan Newman" <nathanne at nathannewman.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 10:29 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Anybody But Kerry the Dole of 2004?

|Ah yes, Ridgeway and Cooper command massive numbers of delegates in the
|Democratic Party. Come on-- this game of pointing to journalists as
|representing any "wing" of the party is silly.

it was journalists, the media in a slightly different context, that helped to sabotage Dean. the open, directional mike that was held on Dean for the infamous "scream," when the other mikes were turned off, is a classic.

i wouldn't label cooper in particular a "journalist." he's intelligent but morally/ethically challenged like madeiline albright.

|Yoshie and others don't have to like Kerry, but Democratic voters did, in
|rather large numbers. And 400,000 of them have contributed money to his
|campaign in amounts that dwarf what past candidates had raised at this
time.
|I believe its more than Bill did as incumbent President in 1996 and with a
|far broader base of small contributors.

democratic voters aren't necesssarily known for having any sense. voting for him hardly means they like him. politics as usual in the USA conditioned a lot of people to accept lesser evils. bush scared a lot of people into supporting anyone else.

are all those contributions coming from democratic voters? or from the anybody-but-bush folks turning in despiration to a mediocre compromise candidate they don't really like?

even major corporations are donating money to the democrats, who accept it and the strings attached thankfully.

|Why don't all the backbiters just lay back for the next six months-- since
|it doesn't matter who wins, so why waste your breath-- and then you'll have
|plenty of time to say "I told you so" when Kerry makes the expected
|compromises once in power?

|Nathan

is everyone offering constructive criticism of the democratic party, and its candidate to be, merely a "backbiter"?

i thought the election was a sure thing, nathan, not an "it doesn't matter who wins." i'm glad to read that kerry is developing an "october surprise," or "doomsday team." i was wondering what he would do if, as you expect, he wins the election and the supreme court exceeds its powers again (as it did in 2000) and tells him bush is president for four more years.

this caught the democrats and tender al gore flat footed in 2000; the party's unresponsiveness during this crisis sure confirmed the common conservative and blue collar opinion that democrats are wimps.

or is that so-called doomsday team merely propaganda?

kerry is making compromises while campaigning. compromises if he ever sees power would be anticlimactic. no one would have to say "i told you so" because it's a fait accompli.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org>; <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2004 12:45 PM Subject: [lbo-talk] Anybody But Kerry the Dole of 2004?

The Anybody But Bush crowd -- aka the Chicken wing of the Democratic Party -- are a fickle bunch. After wasting their time attacking Ralph Nader against their own best interests, they have begun to sound a note of Anybody But Kerry: e.g., James Ridgeway, "John Kerry Must Go" (April 27, 2004); and Marc Cooper, "Not Too Late: Anybody But Kerry" (April 27, 2004). Unfortunately for Cooper and Ridgeway, it is too late, as John Nichols acknowledges. . . .<http://montages.blogspot.com/2004_05_01_montages_archive.html#108386146548 892484>. -- Yoshie