[lbo-talk] Kerry bumperstickers

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon May 10 08:13:17 PDT 2004

Finally spotted my first pro-Kerry bumpersticker yesterday afternoon whil driving westbound on Interstate 80, just west of Davenport, Iowa. Given that I was returning from that Democratic bastion of Madison, Wisconsin, this is not exactly a good sign for you ABB and pro-Kerry supporters.

This weekend I traveled to Wisconsin with a crew of Kansas anarchists in an old 1978 Dodge Monaco for the Midwest Anarchist Bookfair. We also attended the Rainbow Bookstore 15th anniversay party. The Progressive had a big bash on Saturday night with Howard Zinn, Molly Ivins, and Steve Earle whcih I didn't attend.

Madison has lost most of its charm for me. All those "livable city" ratings have turned Madison into a gentrification mess with sprawling suburbs. The gentrification in Madison is worse than I've seen anywhere in my travels, whcih goes to show that a town run by Democrats and so-called progressives can be as friendly to capitalists as one run by conservatives. The destruction of many parrts of downtown by condo towers and new development is also an indictment against local activists who look like they've been getting a bit too comfortable shopping in their Birkenstocks at the numerous food co-ops. And then the bastards have ruined the block dominated by the Civic Center with an even bigger, $100-million art center monstrosity.

The number of independent bookstores continues to diminish in Madison. The university is building huge new science buildings all over campus, which shows that capitalists with money call the shots at the university.

I can't believe that I'd rather live in Kansas City instead of Madison!

Chuck0