[lbo-talk] Army Times sez (obliquely): Fire Rummy, Myers, and Joint Chiefs

snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Mon May 10 08:18:23 PDT 2004

of course, Army Times isn't official voice and I don't have the full editorial as yet, but here's an early report (first reports came out of India):

The Army Times and affiliated private newspapers widely circulated in the military, was to say in an editorial on Monday that Rumsfeld and General Richard Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, were responsible for "a failure that amounts to professional negligence" and that "accountability is essential, even if that means relieving top leaders from duty in a time of war," CBS reported.

http://www.iht.com/bin/print.php?file=519108.html http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/09/international/middleeast/09CND-POLI.html?ex=1084766400&en=65246aa644924166&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

Interesting poll results are Army Times online. I say, jam it with votes for "the chain of command" just for fun :):

Who do you think is more culpable for recent allegations of abuse of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib Prison?

The soldiers who were guarding the prisoners 16.37 % (800)

The chain of command, for not issuing clear guidelines for prisoner treatment 22.75 % (1,112)

Both the unit and commanders are equally responsible 59.10 % (2,889)

I don't know 1.78 % (87)

Total votes: 4888