[lbo-talk] Coke vs. Arsenic

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Mon May 10 11:46:28 PDT 2004

great letter from Kimberley Cohen in response to Jeff Cohen! I wish people like Cohen were not so impervious to it. The ABB epidemic wherein people who should know better are rationalizing support of Kerry is like that movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers, everytime you turn around another progressive is afflicted with that faraway 'must... vote...for...Kerry' look in their eyes. If everybody who said they agreed with Nader just voted for him, he might not win, but he would garner enough votes to give progressives a serious electoral presence and free us from the shackles of the Democratic Party.

Sent : Monday, May 10, 2004 10:22 AM To : ActionGreens at yahoogroups.com Subject : [ActionGreens] another Democrat diatribe against Nader...and my response

| | Junk E-Mail | Inbox

Published on Friday, May 7, 2004 by CommonDreams.org

A Progressive Response to the Nader Campaign by Jeff Cohen

I am ideologically aligned with Ralph Nader, not John Kerry. I agree with Nader on virtually every issue, while agreeing with only about half of Kerry's positions (or what can be deciphered as Kerry's positions). Like other peace and justice activists, I am distressed that Kerry -- who spoke so eloquently decades ago against a war based on racism and lies -- has given support to the current war that is based on racism and lies.

But I'm also distressed by the deception coming from the Nader campaign. We keep being told that Nader will draw votes away from the Evildoer-in-Chief, George W. Bush; yet poll after poll shows the Nader vote depleting Kerry and helping Bush, and tipping swing states and their electoral votes to Bush.

In my view, Kerry vs. Bush is not Coke vs. Pepsi. It's more like Coke vs. Arsenic (quite literally, in the environmental sense). The Bush/Rumsfeld/Ashcroft regime is far more dangerous than the regimes of Nixon/Kissinger/Mitchell or Reagan/Weinberger/Meese.

There can be no greater imperative for progressives this year than to Vote Bush Out. In the 17 or so competitive states, that means building the Kerry vote to defeat Bush...

My response to Jeff Cohen sent to him at: jeffco at ulster.net

Dear Jeff,

I admire FAIR and its efforts to deconstruct media and propaganda. I constantly direct people to FAIR. I feel like I am a contributing part of the FAIR community, even though I confess I have never sent you money.

I know that your article was not written on behalf of FAIR. Though, I would expect that with your connection to FAIR you would be smarter and more fair than to have written the piece about Nader.

The Coke versus Pepsi is really Coke versus Arsenic comarison is laughable. Come on! You have to be among those who know that the ARSENIC WAS IN THE WATER under Clinton. Clinton just passed safer regulations on his way out because it would not be his problem and it would embarass Bush.

Also, my husband pointed out that there is some justice in saying that the Dems versus the Reps are "Coke versus arsenic." Because everyone knows that arsenic is bad and kills you. But, Coke kills you slowly, too. As a matter of fact, it interferes with one of the basic human needs of water consumption by tricking you into believing you have quenched your thirst. Coke is destroying our children by infiltrating schools and confusing young people into believing that Coke has value as "a drink" when it is really a mild poison.

Yup, Coke is like the Democrats.

I don't want Coke, Pepsi, or arsenic. I want the heck out of our wasted electoral system. And, if that path is via Nader and/or a Green Party Presidential candidate and/or IRV, I will work for those things. I will not help the Democrats like you are doing, by pawning off their poison as something better than what Bush has to offer.

Thank you, Kimberly Wilder 11 Edmunton Drive Unit E6 North Babylon, NY 11703