[lbo-talk] Coke vs. Arsenic

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 10 11:55:36 PDT 2004

Joseph Wanzala wrote:

>great letter from Kimberley Cohen in response to Jeff Cohen! I wish
>people like Cohen were not so impervious to it. The ABB epidemic
>wherein people who should know better are rationalizing support of
>Kerry is like that movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers, everytime
>you turn around another progressive is afflicted with that faraway
>'must... vote...for...Kerry' look in their eyes. If everybody who
>said they agreed with Nader just voted for him, he might not win,
>but he would garner enough votes to give progressives a serious
>electoral presence and free us from the shackles of the Democratic
>Party.

>Also, my husband pointed out that there is some justice in saying
>that the Dems versus the Reps are "Coke versus arsenic." Because
>everyone knows that arsenic is bad and kills you. But, Coke kills you
>slowly, too.

The Mekons, "Insignificance"

A hologram of a naked man's eyes batters round the room Fix you in their sites, proof of existence A giant stirs to swat a fly that's lost its best defense Insignificance Damned if you do, Damned if you don't Don't drink that coke, It's really bad for you

A word slips out in Dallas in 1963 Spawns an industry - Conspiracy Initials ten feet tall just reenforce and underline Insignificance

If they can kill, what would they do to me Stumbling into their attention

Walk into the shadows - dim concealment Down in the valley, the rich and the powerful

Blood runs down the blood hole Here's the burden, here's the proof It's disappearing

A giant stirs the whirlpool as it closes on the truth Insignificant, insignificance

You have the right to lie awake at night Don't think that I am paranoid enough

Walk into the shadows- insignificance, insignificance Down in the valley - the rich and the powerful