[lbo-talk] David Brooks mulls Iraq fiasco

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue May 11 04:25:17 PDT 2004

Columnist David Brooks engages in some world-class shucking and jiving in the NY Times today. Sample: "Far from being blinded by greed [in going into Iraq], we were blinded by idealism." For those with strong stomachs, the full text is at http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/11/opinion/11BROO.html

I just sent Brooks this email:

----- Original Message ----- From: Carl Remick To: <dabrooks at nytimes.com> Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 7:09 AM

David Brooks:

Re this comment in your column today: "We went into Iraq with what, in retrospect, seems like a childish fantasy. We were going to topple Saddam, establish democracy and hand the country back to grateful Iraqis. We expected to be universally admired when it was all over."

That belief was "a childish fantasy" at the time, not merely in retrospect. Does this colossal failure of judgment on your part mean that you will be resigning your NY Times column? It would be the honorable thing to do, and I know what an idealist you are.

Sincerely,

Carl Remick

_________________________________________________________________ Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee® Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963