[lbo-talk] David Brooks mulls Iraq fiasco

snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Tue May 11 05:53:46 PDT 2004

At 07:25 AM 5/11/2004, Carl Remick wrote:
>Columnist David Brooks engages in some world-class shucking and jiving in
>the NY Times today. Sample: "Far from being blinded by greed [in going
>into Iraq], we were blinded by idealism."
>For those with strong stomachs, the full text is at
>http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/11/opinion/11BROO.html

I like the ominous tone of George Will, today: the graveyards are full of indispensable men.

No Flinching From the Facts By George F. Will Tuesday, May 11, 2004; Page A19

<...> One question is: Are the nation's efforts in the deepening global war -- the world is more menacing than it was a year ago -- helped or hindered by Rumsfeld's continuation as the appointed American most conspicuously identified with the conduct of the war? This is not a simple call. But being experienced, he will know how to make the call. Being honorable, he will so do.

He knows his Macbeth and will recognize the framing of the second question: Were he to resign, would discerning people say that nothing in his public life became him like the leaving of it?

This nation has always needed an ethic about the resignation of public officials. Such an ethic cannot be codified. It must grow in controlling power from precedent to precedent, as an unwritten common law, distilled from the behavior of uncommonly honorable men and women who understand the stakes. A nation, especially one doing the business of empire, needs high officials to be highly attentive to what is done in their departments -- attentive far down the chain of command, as though their very jobs depended on it.

Finally, the second axiom. It is from Charles de Gaulle: The graveyards are full of indispensable men.