[lbo-talk] AP: Video Seems to Show Beheading of American

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue May 11 13:39:16 PDT 2004

Travis:
> And a parting question after a cheap shot: Could this administration
have
> gone to war without the support of its civilised citizenry?

I am afraid that the answer to this question is unqualified "yes." Perhaps the most disturbing aspect of modern polity is that the ruling class cum state bureaucracy does not depend on popular support to pursue their interests - they have a variety of means of attaining their goals that do not need public mobilization as they used to, and even if such mobilization is needed from time to time, they have the technology to manufacture it almost at will.

Wojtek