[lbo-talk] AP: Video Seems to Show Beheading of American

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Wed May 12 07:18:13 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, May 11, 2004, at 03:39 PM, T Fast wrote:

> And a parting question after a cheap shot: Could this administration
> have
> gone to war without the support of its civilised citizenry? Civilised
> people...civilised for what?

Oh, war is quite compatible with civilization. In fact, it's a universal custom. Every civilized country has indulged in it, as well as every "uncivilized"one. Except perhaps for Costa Rica, the only country AFAIK without an armed force.

Can you name a "civilized" country that hasn't gone to war at some time or other? Why should the U.S. be any different?

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile