[lbo-talk] Berlusconi next? and John Kerry's options

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 13 06:47:48 PDT 2004

John Lacny wrote:

>The current talking points of the squatters in the White House claim
>that Kerry is a "flip-flopper," and that he most certainly is --
>which makes him, as a banal and opportunistic politician, infinitely
>preferable to the gang of fanatics around Bush whose entire purpose
>in life is to cut our throats. People interested in actually ending
>the war should continue to work to make it worth Kerry's while to
>pursue the "Zapatero option."

Clearly you have not been initiated into the higher consciousness, or you would understand that Bush is the lesser evil, because he's so much worse, and therefore better.

Carrol, you repeatedly deny there are leftists who subscribe to "the worse the better." How about Gabriel Kolko, who's no mere oddball out of the rank and file? And the eds of Counterpunch, who seem to share the position. Alex Cockburn has repeatedly said that he's a member of the Chaos Party, which holds that anything that increases the level of chaos is good. That's nearly a word-for-word quote, and not an ambitious paraphrase.

Doug