[lbo-talk] Out here in the red states

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu May 13 16:24:11 PDT 2004

I finally managed to get myself a copy of the recent Thomas Frank article that was published in Harper's. I had to copy it at a library in Missouri because the copy of Harper's at the library here in Leawood was stolen. Give me a day or two before I share my thoughts.

In the meantime, here is an account of my trip last weekend to Madison:

http://www.infoshop.org/inews/stories.php?story=04/05/12/2643491

And here is a related anecdote sent to me by a friend in Wisconsin:

"One of our student employees graduated in December and left Madison for a one-semester stint in Platteville. Her s.o. is finishing up his degree at the UW campus there. Apparently their apartment was on the presidential motorcade route. On the day that W went through Platteville, they woke up and were surprised to look out the window and see lots of yellow police tape. They wondered what the heck happened but soon realized that W would soon travel past."

"So this student had the presence of mind to go to a nearby store for some posterboard. Apparently there is still a place in downtown Platteville that sells posterboard. As people gathered to watch for the prez, she went out with her sign that read "Say No to Bush." People moved away from her, crossing the street and muttering about someone being unpatriotic. Then the president went by, smiling and waving - until he saw her sign. He looked right at her, dumbfounded for a moment. She found this satisfying (however briefly) and so did I when she met me for lunch on Monday and told the story."

Chuck0